Scientific name: Hystrix cristata
Family: Old World Porcupine
Place of Origin: Italy, North Africa and sub-Saharan Africa
Lifespan (in wild): 20 years
Weight: 30 lbs.
Body size: 24 to 36 inches long
Top speed: 6 mph.
Habitat: Hilly, rocky habitats in sub-Saharan Africa, North Africa and Italy.
- Some porcupines have up to 30,000 quills on their body
- Porcupines can’t shoot out their quills, but they will be easily released when predators touch the animal.
- They use their strong feet and curved claws to climb trees.
- They are known to collect bones and keep them hidden under the ground in caves or burrows
- The word porcupine means ‘quill pig’
Annual Cost of Care
The cost to care for this animal per year is $600.
Through our Adopt a Species program, you have an opportunity to provide for this animal’s needs by paying for the annual cost of care. Check out our Donate page for other ways you can give!